Thursday, August 15, 2013

New Teacher Orientation/PD at the Venetian Hotel

For the past two days, I've been at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas from 7:30am to 4:30pm.  I am exhausted.  It was absolutely freezing on the two floors that we were on.  I was literally shivering and I was wearing long sleeves!!  You would think that they could adjust the AC on different floors!  While it was nice that we had orientation at a fancy hotel, I am so glad that it is over.  I honestly didn't find the information that helpful because it was going over what I've already learned during the credential program and during subbing.  Maybe that's because California has pretty high standards for their programs?  I don't know.  Tomorrow I'll be at my school with the other new teachers, our principal, assistant principal, and academic coach.  I worked in my class a little on Tuesday and didn't take before pictures!!  Oh man.  I have some work ahead of me.  I teach at a school that was built a long time ago, so there was lead paint and the paint was peeling.  The principal got money to get the school painted a few years ago and now they're extremely careful about the paint.  They don't want you to stick anything on the walls unless it's on a bulletin board.  And my principal has posters that we HAVE to hang up, which takes up almost all the bulletin boards.  I definitely need to figure out how to add color in my class and make it all warm and homey.  I also need to figure out where I want to put my desk and library because there aren't too many spots.  LOTS of work ahead of me.  Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment