Sunday, August 11, 2013

Class Dojo

Have any of you tried out Class Dojo?  A teacher at my old school posted about it on Facebook and it got me curious.  I went to the site, signed up for it, and am SO excited to try it out.  Especially because the kiddos that I'll have on the first day aren't necessarily the kiddos that I'll have the next month.  I guess my principal plans to switch up the classes after the first round of testing.  It'll give me some way to make sure kids are on task and following rules since they know they may not be in there next month.    My favorite thing about it so far?  It has a random button.  For those of you who do a mystery walker or something along those lines, you can open the site on your computer and it'll choose someone at random!  Or, you can use it for calling on kids randomly, choosing partners randomly, you name it!  So, how it works is you put in your class list and you can assign points for on task behavior, participating, being respectful, etc.  You can put in your own qualities that you're looking for - being quiet in the hall, whatever you want!  You can also (if you must) take away points for not having homework, being disrespectful, etc.  I personally won't be taking away points, because I think that once a kid earns it, it's theirs.  You wouldn't want your boss to take away part of your check because you made a mistake, would you?  Anyway ... check it out.  It seems awesome!  Let me know if you've used it ... or start to use it!

xoxo,
Jen

2 comments:

  1. I used class dojo and LOVED it! It's nice because parents can access their child's report from home and see what's going on in the classroom.
    After I explained it to the kids I took them into the computer lab and gave them 15 minutes to design their own personal avatar. They had a blast! And whenever they saw me pick up my iPad during class they all snapped to attention because they knew I was giving/taking points.

    I had a bad "blurting" problem in my class, so that was the only thing I took points for. It whipped them into shape REAL fast!

    Laura
    Adventures in Multigrade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - they can create their own avatar? Awesome! I don't think I'll be able to have them do it all at once, so maybe I'll have them do it once they're done with their work. I'd probably have to wait until the classes get switched up to have them do it anyway. Glad to know someone who used it and that the kids loved it! :)

      Jen

      Delete