Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My first week ... so far ...

Oh my goodness gracious.  It is INSANE right now.  I've been getting to school at about 6:45 in the morning and not leaving until about 7:00 at night.  Then, I've been coming home and reading and planning until I go to sleep.  I've been working straight through lunch and not eating during that time.  We don't have a recess in the morning, so I haven't had a break!

The first day was a mess.  A hot mess.  I cried to my AP.  I think we all cried.  Every single new teacher.  We had so so so much information thrown at us and our principal is just so intense.  We are all new to the school in 3rd grade, so none of us are used to the model that the school follows.  It's a turn around school in Las Vegas, which means that we have so much accountability at our job.  We have to track SO much data.  It's so intense.

Anywho.  On the first day, I was supposed to have 27 kids ... I think?  Well, three didn't show up the first day, but one had gotten put in the wrong class.  So, I had 25 kids in my room the first day.  Well, I got 3 more added Monday night.  The three that didn't show up the first day showed up on Tuesday ... along with the 3 that added.  I now have 31 kids in my room!  Our school is going to hire another 3rd grade teacher (I HOPE!) but they have to wait until count day.  UGH.  There is no room in my class for any extra bodies.  And any extra talking is just amplified and it's crazy.  It's so hard to have effective classroom management with that many kids in there.

I'll post classroom pictures this weekend!  I hope everyone is having a great school year so far.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I just had crazy flashbacks of my first year while reading this. I was teaching multigrade k-2 and literally everyday that first week we enrolled a new kindergartner. I ran out of desks! Living at school the first few weeks is rough but trust me eventually you will find your rhythm. Planning gets much easier and you'll be racing out of their as soon as the bell rings. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete